Preside (The App) is a mobile email application made in Santa Cruz California by GoodHumans ("Preside", "us", "we", "our"). We respect your privacy. By default, the app does not communicate any information to our servers, and the app functions quite well without enabling any of the features that require such transmission.
Collection and Use of Personal Information
The App collects personally identifiable information necessary to perform its functions. This information resides on your device, and, aside from the opt-in features listed below, this information is not transmitted to our servers.
Some opt-in features do require the transmition of personally identifiable information and/or email content to external servers. These features are clearly demarcated, and they are not central to the functionality of the app. In other words, you can choose not to use these features after you are presented with a privacy warning when they are invoked. A list of these features and their respective privacy implications follows:
- Preside.io accounts When you register for a Preside.io account (which is required for a Premium subscription or remote notifications), we collect and store your email address as a login identifier. Additionally, we use that email address to communicate with you, when necessary. We don't perform any analysis or analytics of the data stored in Preside.io accounts.
- Remote notifications If you enable remote notifications by setting the Background sync preference to 'Remote syncing (private servers)', we must collect information about your device in order to send those notifications. Also, the nature of these notifications is that some of your email data might pass through our servers during the notification process. Like all requests going through our servers, that data is recorded into log files. Most of the information in those log files is purged daily, while some of it is purged every 3 months. We do not perform any analysis or analytics of that data. Since these notifications are coming from your computer, you have full control over what gets sent. You can choose to send a notification such as, "You've got mail", or you can choose to use one of the local notification facilities that do not require communication with our servers.
- Remote monitoring When you enable the 'Remote monitoring' feature by setting the Background sync preference to 'Remote syncing (preside.io servers)', we make use of a 3rd party service, Context.io, in order to monitor your email accounts. That service is provided with full access to your email accounts and email data. We've included more information about how that information is collected and used in the next section of this document.
- Defer When you make use of the app's Defer feature, and you choose to sync the deferral information between devices, and you choose 'iCloud' as the Defer syncing preference, the app stores information about those the deferred emails in your iCloud account. That information is NOT personally idenfiable (or meaningful in any way other than a time-stamp), and it is not something we can access. Apple, presumably, does have access to this anonymous, meaningless information.
- Support emails When you email us for support, you usually provide us with your name & email address. That information along with the content of your email and our reply is stored in our email account. We do not perform any analysis or analytics on these emails, but we might re-read your prior emails when responding to a subsequent support request by you or someone else who is experiencing a similar problem.
- Preside newsletter When you sign up for the Preside Newsletter, The App collects your email address. We also collect information about your interactions with the newsletter. This is discussed further in the MailChimp section of this document.
Context.io and Personal Information
You can opt out of this collection of data by disabling the 'Remote monitoring' function in the app. At that time, The App will delete your account information from the Context.io servers, to the best of our ability. It is probably a good idea to change your email passwords at that time too.
Disclosure to Third Parties
GoodHumans has no knowledge of and is not responsible for the information that Apple collects and/or processes from users of The App. Apple is the processor for any data they collect while you use The App, and you are the controller. The App does not make use of any features, such as CloudKit containers, whereby Apple would store personally identifiable information on our behalf. Any information stored by the app in iCloud is governed by Apple's policies.
Our website is hosted through Amazon Web Services (AWS). When you visit our website, Amazon might collect information about your activities on our website. Our website uses the default AWS settings, are fully compliant with the GDPR.
Some features on our website and in our app make use of the Fat Fractal backend service. Specifically, these are requests releated to Preside.io accounts described above. Requests to Fat Fractal are collected on their website and stored for a varying amount of time, depending on the type of request and response. That time frame ranges from 1 hour to 3 months.
Additionally, The App stores your Preside.io account information on the Fat Fractal backend. That database does contain some personally identifiable information, as described in the Preside.io accounts section of this document.
It may be necessary − by law, legal process, litigation, and/or requests from public and governmental authorities within or outside your country of residence − for GoodHumans to disclose your personal information. We may also disclose information about you if we determine that for purposes of national security, law enforcement, or other issues of public importance, disclosure is necessary or appropriate. We may also disclose information about you if we determine that disclosure is reasonably necessary to enforce our terms and conditions or protect our operations or users. Additionally, in the event of a reorganization, merger, or sale we may transfer any and all personal information we collect to the relevant third party.
The app contains links to web sites and other internet resources. These include both links within the App itself as well as links within emails and other downloaded content. Please be aware that GoodHumans is not responsible for the privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they access websites from within the app and to read the privacy statements of each and every web site that collects personally identifiable information. This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by this App.
This app takes precaution to protect our users' information. Unless configured otherwise, transmitted information is encrypted with the latest SSL/TLS encryption technology. At rest data on your device uses iOS file protection, and all passwords and authentication tokens are further encrypted such that even if the iOS file protection was circumvented, these would still be protected. If you have any questions about the security of our app, you can send an email to email@example.com
GoodHumans has the utmost respect for your privacy, and we are striving to comply with the GDPR. We have ceased all collection and processing of usage data, and the only personally identifiable data we collect is for the opt-in features described above. Even then, this collection doesn't go beyond your email address, and the only 'processing' we perform is storage. That said, we do rely on external services (as described above) for some tasks not directly related to the mobile app. We are still learning how to comply with GDPR request related to those services. As such, please send us an email if you need any help with GDPR requests related to those services, even if you are the 'controller' for that data. We will help guide you through the process.
Notification of Change
Please upgrade to the latest version of The App to increase your privacy.