- In general, how private is the app?
- Does the app upload any email data to your servers?
- Does the app upload any account information to your servers?
- Where are my emails and account information stored?
- What happens when I delete the app?
- Do any 3rd parties have access to my emails or account information?
- What access do you have to usage info and other analytics?
- Are there opt-in features that make the app less private? What are those features?
In general, how private is the app?
It is generally very private. In it's default configuration, the app stores all of its information locally, on your device. It does not communicate any email related information to our servers.
The app does collect some anonymous data about how you use the app. That can be disabled from the settings screens.
It is also possible to configure some features that do remove some privacy, but those features are non-essential and they are clearly demarcated within the app. Please see this question for more information about that. Please note that the other questions in this FAQ consider those privacy-challenged features to be OFF.
Does the app upload any email data to your servers?
No. The app does NOT upload any email data or related information to our server.
Does the app upload any account information to your servers?
No. The app does NOT upload account information to our servers.
Where are my emails and account information stored?
All data used by the app is stored locally on your own device.
What happens when I delete the app?
All data used by the app is stored locally on your own device. If you delete the app from that device, all of the data used by the app gets deleted at that same time.
Do any 3rd parties have access to my emails or account information?
No. The app does not share any email or account information with any third party, or even ourselves.
What access do you have to usage info and other analytics?
Preside does collect & transmit information about how the app is being used. These are things like what screens you visit, how many emails you file, and other information that helps us to improve the app. This information does NOT contain anything thing about your email or accounts, and it is NOT personally identifiable.
This data collection can be disabled from the Behaviors preferences screen.
Are there opt-in features that make the app less private? What are those features?
Yes. There are some opt-in features that can make the app less private. These features are clearly demarcated within the app. They are protected with confirmations in such away that it would be nearly impossible to activate them accidentally or without a clear understanding that your privacy is being impacted by their activation. We've listed these below.
- The app also has a feature that allows your email to be 'spoken' to you. If you use that feature, the contents of your email will be transmitted to a 3rd party (http://ispeech.org) for speech synthesis.
- The app offers the ability to remotely monitor your Inbox using our servers. When you enable the 'Remote monitoring' feature, we make use of a 3rd party service, Context.io, in order to provide this service. That service is provided with full access to your email accounts and email data. Enabling this feature requires multiple confirmation and is generally discouraged within the app for anyone with any concerns about their privacy.